Tuesday, March 21, 2006

right? no. wrong? no.

About two years ago, after I woke up in the morning with a deadline holding a sword over my neck, and then hurried off to office in extreme haste, extreme stress boxing me on my ears repeatedly repeatedly, I got into an autorickshaw which midway went bust and then I angry and furious started walking away when the rickshaw driver angry and furious called me back and demanded his fare up to the point that the rickshaw went bust but I naturally refused to pay but he persisted and then I told him no and then he said let's go to the police station and then we both walked to the police station and in between we met two constables and put forth our points of view, mine being that since I took the rickshaw to a particular point, going halfway does not help me because I would have to take another rickshaw and thus pay more and his, the rickshaw driver's, point being that his rickshaw has used fuel up to that point and he has also given his time and labour up to that point and so he is entitled to the fare up to that point and this is how we put forth our arguments to the two constables who agreed with me and told the rickshaw driver to pay but he did not and insisted that we go to the police station and so we walked on to the police station where surrounding a table sat four constables and we put forth our arguments again and this time they sided with the rickshaw driver and asked me to pay up the fare but I refused and said that I would not pay him and then they told me to pay him at least something so that this situation is resolved and so I paid him half the fare up to the point where his rickshaw went bust and they told the rickshaw driver to accept that money and so we both, equally happy and equally unhappy, returned, he to his bust up rickshaw and me towards the deadline whose sword just got bigger thanks to the time wasted in this silliness but I am still not sure who was the right in it and therefore this is what I call a moral dilemma and I don’t think there is an answer to it and I dont think there are answers to most things in life but there are solutions

12 comments:

Shalz Nair said...

whoever has the time to get into such hassels and specially when someone is getting really late for office and something as important.

Only you can do it you Maddy you !

God Bless !!

madhavan said...

God bless??? What makes you think he'll listen to you

Manish Bhatt said...

Wrong!

madhavan said...

wrong

Mitesh said...

You forgot to add a 'fullstop' at the end. :-)

madhavan said...

sorry
oops i did it again
oops i did it again
oops i did it again
oops i did it again
oops i did it again
oops i did it again

Manish Bhatt said...

Aiyaah, Brit-knee!

madhavan said...

you sound like a pun-dit

Anonymous said...

no this ain't a moral dilemma
this is an absolute idiot's stupidity;-)

Selma Mirza said...

did you have to go to a police station to know that you'd have to pay him something! and that too under the burden of a deadline...

i'm sure you had to catch the next train. or god forbid, did you miss two trains? :-O

;-)

madhavan said...

Anonymous: That's one way of looking at it. Depends on your IQ level, I guess.

Evenstar: I missed about 20 trains. And no, I didnt have to pay him anything. The only reason I did was because I had to go to the office and bring out a magazine.

Selma Mirza said...

I sometimes think about you when I catch a train coming from Borivili. I travel by the harbour line on normal days and the Western when I am late. So I think about you on the days I am late :-)