Thursday, March 16, 2006

listen, for i speak

My agonies are exhausted and so I have a brief moment of respite before they rear their hydra heads. I use this, this becalming moment, to speak what I otherwise cannot, will not.

Since we will never meet, since you will never be near, I shall say what I could not once and then did, yes I did, but in a language which perhaps had no existence, no future. I understand that now. I understand much now but this wisdom has not come easy. I have had to journey much, not in furlongs and miles, or moments. My travels took me through different states of misery and miseries are not understood within time and space. Every sorrow is eternal when it is happening. I have waded through much and understood this: if words will make words glitter, then words also abrade meanings but then, words, which I write to expiate another silence, other abrasions, will also echo because if there is destruction in words, then there is also redemption in it.

It is important that you hear, that you understand, that you listen. And you will listen to my words which I throw in empty space knowing well that this is empty space. I know that they shall reach you because words travel faster than me and you, and they travel farther than you will ever go from me, because they travel with the wings of thought and heart, and these wings go far.

Other thoughts, other hearts will listen to me and through them you will listen. Yes, you will listen. You will perhaps not know that these words come from me, that in my silence there was much that was said and when I spoke, there were many things silent. I so wish for that silence to return but it will not. And so I create words now and I create words for you. I craft them, I design them, slowly sculpt them, give them feature, let them flow back and forth, let them ebb and bounce and sometimes let them free to do as they will. I do this with great care so that they, these words, shall travel, not in a raging mass submerging all that they meet, rather, I wish them to go one by one, letter by letter. Perhaps then, these stray sounds will be heard by someone, who will understand and from him it will take another form, a different feature and then another will hold on to it. From another to another and thus they will travel in single files until they reach your ears and you who must have forgotten me will stop and remember hard, you will think that these words are familiar and they speak in tongues you understand, and you will know then, you will know then that you know these words and what you hear has come from you.

7 comments:

J said...

wtf

J said...

wtf

Manish Bhatt said...

er

humbl devil said...

gud, too gud...
will or must have made the desired effect on the intended person...

p.s.
endh aayi???too busy with work i presume...
your posts seem too far in between...
me thinking of taking a sabbatical too...
have to clear 5 backlogs this time or i'm screwed...

madhavan said...

J: ftw

J: ftw

M: to er is human

Devil: not busy. think my ferocious energy's petering out.

Anu: not sure but i think it's coral jasmine aka night jasmine.

Selma Mirza said...

beautiful...

i know you only through your words.

Anonymous said...

There was meaning long before the word ever existed. There is knowledge despite the unspoken...WORDS more words, just add noise diffuse divert, embelish, erase, destroy, damage... they are no good, let them be...